AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » ArcFlash Analysis
Topics: ArcFlash Analysis on General Discussion
Start by
Aaron Aarooran (MIEAust)
10-08-2013 08:37 AM

ArcFlash Analysis

I am doing Arcflash analysis on distribution network using Power Factory according to IEEE 1584-2002. As I understand from the standard, the equation was developed for 3 phase fault calculation only. But, it is recommended to use phase to ground fault for Arcflash calculation at distribution lines. I understand that NESC standard has table for single phase fault Arclash calculation. Anyone got experience in this area?
10-08-2013 10:55 AM
Top #2
Gene Moe
10-08-2013 10:55 AM
My understanding of the NESC table is that is not related to calculations but based on system ratings that support conclusions to arc-flash ratings for specific applications. Given a system capacity the table provides arc-flash rating levels for a variety of applicaitons such as disconnect switches, panelborads, etc. Arc-flash calculations are likely the preferred method as the results are more specific to the system. NESC provides approximate (albeit probably conservative) levels for the various applications listed in the tables. The NESC tables would not be relevant if you are preparing arc-flash caclulations based on actual system data or configuration.
Reply to Thread