AC Drive China Forum
Forum » Servo Control » servo motors in cars
Topics: servo motors in cars on Servo Control
Start by
Aldo
08-15-2012 04:18 AM

servo motors in cars

What do you have hearing about the application of servo motors in cars, because I believe that in a few years we won't more combustion engines but, instead of wheels and mechanical transmissions, just servomotors already plugged to the tires.
08-15-2012 04:19 AM
Top #2
Joi
08-15-2012 04:19 AM
I think it would be important if some automotive company make a concept car based in the DDR or pankake motor just to we check the availability of this kind of servomotor in be used in streets
08-15-2012 04:20 AM
Top #3
Leskos
08-15-2012 04:20 AM
I think the servo drives are ready to do the job. The problem is coming from the power source and safety.

The servo drive developers can not help for development of the power sources, but servo drive companies with experience in functional safety will have advantage in automotive.

The progress in that direction may come when a big automotive company make huge investments in infrastucture (charging stations for hydrogen or electricity).
08-15-2012 04:21 AM
Top #4
bruce
08-15-2012 04:21 AM
If you try to put an electric motor in the wheels, and direct drive the wheels, the electric motor becomes very large and expensive and heavy. The motor then dramatically increases the unsprung weight of the vehicle. There is a reason people make gearboxes.

BTW, you don't need a servo motor for a car. Any good brushless DC motor will work.
Reply to Thread