AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Sensorless control of PMSM, which is the better position estimator?
Topics: Sensorless control of PMSM, which is the better position estimator? on General Discussion
Start by
Arno Rabenstein
09-17-2013 01:11 PM

Sensorless control of PMSM, which is the better position estimator?

We were looking to flux estimator based on voltage model so far and improved performance by adding PLL structures. Still we are wondering if a sliding mode observer could further improve the behaviour in corner cases. What is your experience and is there other position estimation algorithms, we should have a look at? Any help is very appreciated.
09-17-2013 03:20 PM
Top #2
Martin Lloyd
09-17-2013 03:20 PM
Hi Arno. I'm looking for a company that might be interested in a great new sensorless motor controller that can be applied to PMSM and stepper motors. The new patent-pending controller has been developed at the University of Technology Sydney and offers many advantages over other sensorless techniques. If you are interested in hearing more let me know. Thanks.
09-17-2013 06:02 PM
Top #3
Arno Rabenstein
09-17-2013 06:02 PM
Hi Martin, of course we are interested in looking to sensorless control techiques. Could you please share some more details? Thanks.
09-17-2013 08:39 PM
Top #4
Yichao Zhang
09-17-2013 08:39 PM
There is another method that needs to inject high frequency signal to sensor rotor position. It is similar with resolver theory. But it requires machine saliency, i.e. IPM.
09-17-2013 10:52 PM
Top #5
Avnish Narula
09-17-2013 10:52 PM
Statistically compensated voltage model (SCVM) in IFO (dq syatem) is one of the methods for sensorless control.
09-18-2013 01:14 AM
Top #6
John Videtich
09-18-2013 01:14 AM
I've implemented a motor drive using a PLL to track the phase and speed of the calculated BEMF signal to use for FOC control. After completion of the project, I think the PLL may not be the best solution. It works very well at higher velocities, but at low motor speeds the PLL bandwidth needs to be pushed very high resulting in large reference feedthrough. I can't say too much as it is a proprietary design. We managed to speed up the PLL at low velocities to achieve sensorless speeds down to 200RPM on a 3-pole motor but it was tricky.

I can say a PLL can be made to work on a low processing power platform (~$2 microcontroller / digital signal controller), but if I were to start the project again I would look more closely at the so-called slide mode controller before choosing the PLL.

Best regards,

- John
09-18-2013 03:17 AM
Top #7
Sandro Calligaro
09-18-2013 03:17 AM
I think the various choices are also influenced by the application (high-speed vs. low-speed, general-purpose vs. known motor, fan/pump application vs. high-performance, ...).
For example, for a known motor and heavy low-speed operation, you're forced to try with HF techniques mentioned by Yichao, since they could be the only solution.

Quadrature PLL is an efficient way (one of the few, AFAIK) for tracking sinusoidal signals frequency and phase with low-pass filtering and no steady-state error.
I wouldn't expect too much from sliding-mode, you can see it as a non-linear feedback. It surely introduces chattering, which needs to be filtered, and it is also difficult to analytically deal with, being non-linear.
09-18-2013 05:37 AM
Top #8
Neil Tice
09-18-2013 05:37 AM
As Sandro said, quadrature PLL techniques work very well, and can be made to work at quite low speeds. I've implemented both sliding-mode and PLL-based techniques, and can't say that one is much better than the other. I think the PLL method offers more flexibility, but the sliding-mode observer might be easier to tune.

The trick with any PMSM speed-sensorless technique is the startup, of course.
09-18-2013 08:31 AM
Top #9
Ari Berger
09-18-2013 08:31 AM
Hi Arno, If your flux observer works well, and you know your motor's parameters (especially inductance) you can use the current model estimate the angle. I prefer the well-known Kalman or Luenberger observer (depends if you have stochastic info of the process or not), using prediction and innovation/update. You can get good results both in low and high velocity range. Working in the rotor d-q reference frame, the model is linear, thus a linear observer can be used (you could say that the transformation from the stator to the rotor is non-linear, but if you have small angle errors, then you'll see it's "quasi-linear"). using non-linear functions (compensators, observers etc.) is always tricky, since convergence/stability for all working points is hard to prove.
09-18-2013 11:01 AM
Top #10
Arno Rabenstein
09-18-2013 11:01 AM
Thanks a lot for all your feedback. We are especially looking into low end drives like fans or pumps as well as aircon compressors. The MCU is a CORTEX-M0, but is equiped with a cordic co-processor.
We were looking into PLL structures, but are still in a phase of feasibility investigations. Sandro, could you please give some more details or links into these "quadrature PLL techniques"?
John, thanks for your input as well, can you give a bit more hints where to look into detail?

Best Regards,
Arno
09-18-2013 01:28 PM
Top #11
Sandro Calligaro
09-18-2013 01:28 PM
Ari,
working in the stationary reference frame makes it possible to completely decouple the electrical and mechanical equations, which is obviously not possible in the synchronous one. I consider it as an advantage, although it complicates the case where saliency is present.

Standard quadrature PLL is actually based on a Park transformation, of which the immaginary part of the result is used as an error signal for correction.
In the synchronous reference frame the PLL structure gets included in the observer itself (considering also the Park current and voltage Park trasfrormations based on estimated position).

Standard PLL is described, for example, here (although the novel proposal doesn't look so promising):
C. Olivieri, "Development of a Novel PLL Algorithm for Model-based Sensorless Drives overcoming Speed-Reversal Issues and comparison with Usual Solutions by Real-Time Simulation"
(http://article.sapub.org/10.5923.j.eee.20130302.01.html)

This method describes in detail a synchronous reference frame approach to back-EMF estimation:
P. Kshirsagar, R. P. Burgos, A. Lidozzi, J. Jang, F. Wang, D. Boroyevich, and S.-K. Sul, “Implementation and Sensorless Vector-Control Design and Tuning Strategy for SMPM Machines in Fan-Type Applications”
09-18-2013 04:20 PM
Top #12
Ari Berger
09-18-2013 04:20 PM
Thanks for the insight Sandro. I wasn't aware of that technique. Did you consider what happens if the armature reaction is large (then both stator and air-gap flux linkage vectors have different angles) in sense of the PLL ?
09-18-2013 06:57 PM
Top #13
Sandro Calligaro
09-18-2013 06:57 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question... PLL is fed with estimated back-EMF alpha-beta signals, so it is care of the observer making those signals a good estimate of the PM induced voltage, that is always 90 deg leading the PM flux.
09-18-2013 09:39 PM
Top #14
Ari Berger
09-18-2013 09:39 PM
Sandro,you're definitely right about the bemf of the PM, but what about the following term - j*w*L*i (subscript are missing...) - which is the armature reaction bemf in a non-salient motor. this term, depends on the current vector and especially on the inductance. As you can see, there could be situations that this term has a component along the bemf of the PM. This is what my question was about - since I didn't see that the PLL is taking care of this (however, I read it quite quickly so maybe I missed something).
09-19-2013 12:18 AM
Top #15
Ari Berger
09-19-2013 12:18 AM
By the way, it's a pity that I cannot paste a picture here (maybe there is some way ?) , as you could see the situation very well in the space phasor diagram...
09-19-2013 03:10 AM
Top #16
Sandro Calligaro
09-19-2013 03:10 AM
The back-EMF observer (or estimator) does nothing but separating the voltage induced by the PM rotation from the whole phase voltage:
E = V - R*I - s*L*I (Laplace domain, stationary reference frame)

BTW, yes, it would be nice if there was a way to post images!
Reply to Thread