AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » IGBT Gate Driver Circuit for AC Motor Speed Controllers
Topics: IGBT Gate Driver Circuit for AC Motor Speed Controllers on General Discussion
Start by
Mahmut Oktay
09-23-2013 12:10 PM

IGBT Gate Driver Circuit for AC Motor Speed Controllers

Hi. I am designer of AC Motor speed controllers. I use IGBT as a switching device for PWM algorithms. I have designed IGBT Gate Driver Circuit and DC-DC Converter. The transformer insulation voltage is 5000V(rms) between primary to secondaries and secondary to secondary and I have used Avago’s ”HCPL-316J” gate drive opto-coupler for IGBT Gate Driver Circuit . IGBT parameters are 1200V/150A and working voltage is 380-480VAC(rms).

Now, I have a special project. IGBT parameters are 1700V/150A and working voltage is 500-600 VAC(rms). I will design a new IGBT Gate Driver Circuit. I have searched some about the IGBT Gate Drive cores. Concept’s “2SC0108T2A0-17” driver core can drive all usual IGBT modules up to 600A/1200V and 450A/1700V. But this is a high-cost solution.
I am searching if I can find a low-cost solution. Can I use Avago’s ”HCPL-316J” gate drive opto-coupler for IGBT Gate Driver Circuit for IGBT parameters are 1700V/150A and working voltage is 500-600VAC(rms) or another gate drive opto-coupler?
09-23-2013 02:42 PM
Top #2
Steven Hardison
09-23-2013 02:42 PM
IGBTs are an expensive alternative. Analog fixed or variable transformers are much more durable and affordable, can handle more heat if sized properly, and can be used in conjunction with simple inexpensive power electronics to interface AC or DC machines with the AC grid. I believe the movement away from analog to purely digital is is not necessarily advancement. It depends on your purpose for it's use. If you are looking to cogenerate using a DC/AC system; I believe analog is the best route to go, contrary to what the digital proponents will tell you. I think there is a movement afoot to lead everyone away from analog solutions, because therein lies the answers to competitive power generation alternatives, that the powers that be are not too fond of and that the digital alternatives cannot provide either because of their inability to handle the heat and or their exhorbitantly high costs.
Reply to Thread