AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » WHAT SHOULD LOOK WHILE BUYING UPS
Topics: WHAT SHOULD LOOK WHILE BUYING UPS on General Discussion
Start by
suresh khake
01-03-2014 06:04 AM

WHAT SHOULD LOOK WHILE BUYING UPS

WE HAVE TO BUY 100 KVA  ON-LINE UPS FOR PVC PIPE EXTRUDER AT DEHRADUN PLEASE GUIDE ME WHAT SHOULD LOOK WHILE BUYING UPS. SUPPLIER AROUND DEHRADUN WELCOME.WE REQUIRED 5 TO 2 MIN BACKUP ONLY. WE HAVE PVC PIPE EXTRUDER AT DEHRADUN WHERE POWER IS BIG PRO BLAME WE HAVE STANDBY D.G FOR POWER SUPPLY.WE REQ 5 MIN OR 1 MIN BACKUP FOR EXTRUDER WE CAN FIT AUTO START CHANGEOVER SWITCH FOR D.G OR BUY 3 MIT BACKUP UPS WHICH SOLUTION IS LOW COST AND BETTER
01-03-2014 08:44 AM
Top #2
LIJO CHERIAN
01-03-2014 08:44 AM
In my opinion you must go for Generators. It will be running continuously and can avoid downtime.

UPS system requires charging time and it wont last for a major power fault.
Find the link for selecting a better UPS
http://www.pdhengineer.com/courses/e/E-1009.pdf
01-03-2014 10:46 AM
Top #3
suresh khake
01-03-2014 10:46 AM
you have not read full qus. we are using generator but we canto stop process for second it will breakage pipe and scrap produce
01-03-2014 01:15 PM
Top #4
Richard Dambaugh
01-03-2014 01:15 PM
I was in Dehradun last year doing an upgrade and ever day we had power outages. That process uses big compressors run by VFD's and I suggested if the company wanted black-out ride through capability, to install a battery system and charger to power the VFD's instead of AC. Almost all VFDs immediately rectify the AC to DC so one could power them either way. Extruders I have seen in the past were run on VFD's. I am not sure of your specific case, but if it fits, you might want to investigate that idea. Control systems would still need a UPS but smaller one.
01-03-2014 03:48 PM
Top #5
Venkatapathy S.R.
01-03-2014 03:48 PM
Your objective of finding a 100KVA UPS with a backup time matching the period when the DG set can be brought online is fine. Consider a slightly larger time frame of 15 to 30 mts.

In practical terms, your DG set may or may not come on board sometimes as quickly as you desire. Also a slightly longer duration will help you safely shutdown the equipment in the event of DG failing to come on for any reason.

There is no impact on the UPS Electronics because of this. Only the battery bank capacity will need to be increased suitably.

You may want to consider a transformerless UPS which should bring down the overall cost of the UPS and also because you are not going to run the load UPS for long. It is irrelevant that a supplier of UPS should be close to your place - what is crucial is to have a supplier who has the credentials - remember your investment on UPS is not small - look for someone who can support you (services) well.

I am supplier neutral and hence will refrain from suggesting any particular make
01-03-2014 06:21 PM
Top #6
suresh khake
01-03-2014 06:21 PM
sir.i do not no what you say about transformer less ups and how they cost less pl explain in details
01-03-2014 09:06 PM
Top #7
LIJO CHERIAN
01-03-2014 09:06 PM
sorry for the wrong information

Please folow the link for transformerless ups
http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=advantages%20of%20transformerless%20ups&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CCoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emersonnetworkpower-partner.com%2FArticleDocuments%2FComparing%2520Transformerless%2520to%2520Transformer-based%2520UPS%2520Designs.pdf.aspx&ei=3BKCUPOpGYOErQfw0IGoDA&usg=AFQjCNG7MIm_vY8BoMVbCLVG4WNZEOncyg
01-03-2014 11:32 PM
Top #8
Dino Favetta
01-03-2014 11:32 PM
Suresh.
It is Dino again.
There are so many things when designing UPS systems for a plant.
I will try to help you but please first answer some questions.
What is the constant and peak demand load?
What TYPE of loads? Motors? VFDs? Control panels?
There are many parameters such as UPS output waveform, load demand waveform and power factor, Load Crest Factor, Load non-linearities, Motor inrush when on UPS.
All things must be looked at closely.
Are you planning to use Double Conversion UPS or Line-Interactive?
What fault loads (down-stream circuit breakers) do you need to have excess UPS reserve power to trip and clear in the event of a fault Down-stream of the UPS?
This is not an easy solution. Everybody thinks this is so simple. It is not. What about measuring and estimating battery system Float and Equalize and battery temperature and aging effects?
How will you transition Back to mains power after grid power is restored or once the generator comes on?
Please provide me with some guidelines as to what this process system electrical design looks like and maybe I can help more.
Dino
01-04-2014 02:00 AM
Top #9
suresh khake
01-04-2014 02:00 AM
sir thanks again for your help. we have to run ups for 2-4 minute only for auto changeover auto start DG to take time for load. so we have not worry about load demand waveform and power factor, Load Crest Factor, Load non-linearities.we can reduce load by lowering rpm of vfd run extruder motor for 2-4 min. when DG start we can incrise rpm of extruder
you can visit and see process on http://www.windsormachines.com/extrusion_division/pipe_extrusion_twin_screw.htm. please know me difference between double conversation ups and line interactive ups. we are looking for online UPS
Reply to Thread