AC Drive China Forum
Forum » PLC - Programmable Logic Controller » TIA Portal V11
Topics: TIA Portal V11 on PLC - Programmable Logic Controller
Start by
Andrea
10-29-2012 08:56 AM

TIA Portal V11

What do you think about TIA Portal V11? How much time needs to be more reliable ? Greetings
10-29-2012 09:27 AM
Top #2
Navi
10-29-2012 09:27 AM
Navigation of the TIA Portal software, works not so well.
The Devices and Networks Configuration works well (despite crashing once).
The LAD editor works quite badly.
The SCL editor works well.
The WinCC screen editor works reasonable well, though with some issues.
explanation).
I cannot comment on the STL editor or the FBD editor. I usually do all my coding with LAD and SCL so I shall pass on these two for now. However, I expect the FBD editor to be very similar to the LAD editor, and I expect the STL editor to be very similar to the SCL editor.
The entire software is totally mouse-driven. With many windows and screens, you will be forced to use. The mouse constantly. It seems that Siemens has given up on even trying to make software navigable by the keyboard only. This is quite negative, as a lot of the every-day activity requires that you switch between windows quickly.
When you have many windows open, you can see this by a list in the bottom of the main window, similar to the Windows Task bar. But – there is no way to switch between these windows by a hot-key. I have no easy solution for Siemens how to improve this. But they should work hard on how to improve the ergonomics of TIA Portal.
The main problems as I see it are:
1. The LAD editors ergonomics is too poor to work efficiently.
2. The migration of old projects is not reliable enough.
For smaller projects, I can recommend TIA Portal v11, given that you have a potent computer and a big screen.
For bigger projects, I recommend to wait until Siemens has ironed out the kinks.
For some people, TIA Portal will remain irrelevant until all the software options are released.
10-29-2012 11:07 AM
Top #3
Ross
10-29-2012 11:07 AM
I've just started programming a Siemens S7 1200 and am using TIA V11. I think that it's a bit clunky and it feels as if I'm programming using a web page. There's a lot of lag when I perform actions and the interface is rather cluttered, which makes it difficult to use in the field on a smaller laptop screen.

I can't compare it to other Siemens versions as this my first exposure to it. It's a pity, as the s7 1200 is a nice affordable machine but the programming software is not as good as what I've used on other brands.
10-29-2012 11:28 AM
Top #4
Navi
10-29-2012 11:28 AM
There are also issues of Integration :
1. Integration with DRIVES.
2. Safety.
3. S7-300 T CPUs.
4. S7-400 H CPUs.
5. WinCC redundancy.

Other issues :

1. Programming language SCL available in S7300/400 is not available in S7 -1200.
2. TIA portal requires hefty computer !! speed slows down even with 2G RAM.
3. Inserting Station takes 20 - 30 seconds and a 1 minute annoying delay in the editors used for coding the program
4. A typical issue is typing in symbolic names from with the LAD editor. This happens with a dialog that pops up, you can type in the name, but then there is no hot-key to close the dialog. Again, you have to use the mouse, or hit the TAB several times to navigate to the Change button and then finish with ENTER.
This is the dialog that I mean, to get from typing in the name to activate the Change button is too difficult.
5. Suggestion to Siemens: :::When selecting the address field, a dialog pops up that allows the immediate entry of the address by the keyboard or that the address is found by browsing with the arrow keys. When browsing with the arrow keys, it should not be necessary to shift between using the arrow keys, and typing (such as having to type a “.” or hitting ENTER to open the browsing for the next structure level).
10-29-2012 03:58 PM
Top #5
Levent
10-29-2012 03:58 PM
TIA Portal V11 is so bigger than other siemens programs that's why you have high performance PC or PG so if you have a PC, you will change your computer with having other computer. In addition to this TIA Portal have very much benifits, for example it have a compact programming bulid so winccFlexible and S7300,S71200 So that condition is so flexible and useful. I think that siemans have to make this changing but their users mustn't get tired within the process of change
10-29-2012 06:19 PM
Top #6
Mark
10-29-2012 06:19 PM
TIA Portal is a bit cluttered compared to the old 5.x, but I find that controls are grouped quite logically and the interface makes sense. The issue with Siemens is the program is so big, and can integrate and "do" so much, that it loses its small feel. There is much to navigate through and around.

However, in the 8 months I've been using TIA Portal I've grown comfortable with it and find that programming is quite easy. If there is anything to really take issue with, it is the documentation. There are very many "you can...." statements, but there is lots of testing to find out "how.... you can". That's something I wish Siemens would address.
Reply to Thread