AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » INDUCTION MOTOR LOSS of LIFE in FAULT CONDITION
Topics: INDUCTION MOTOR LOSS of LIFE in FAULT CONDITION on General Discussion
Start by
Amir Masoud Takbash
01-01-2014 04:50 AM

INDUCTION MOTOR LOSS of LIFE in FAULT CONDITION

I want to work on "INDUCTION MOTOR LOSS of LIFE in FAULT CONDITION". Do you know any good books or articles as references?
01-01-2014 07:37 AM
Top #2
Alan Maltz
01-01-2014 07:37 AM
Amir,

That's a good question, but I think that you need to specify the type of fault conditions. Destructive faults like turn to turn or turn to ground tend to define the end of life of a motor until it is rewound. Non-destructive faults such as overheating tend result in loss of life that follows normal industry practice for accelerated life loss.

As a researcher you will find that Google is your friend, I received 150,000 hits by Googling on "loss of life calculations for induction motors".

Alan
01-01-2014 09:40 AM
Top #3
Amir Masoud Takbash
01-01-2014 09:40 AM
Dear Alan
I work on broken bar fault in induction motors. I have used google many times. and i know it is very good search engine. I read about 50 different articles about induction motor loss of life. they are good, But I think, I need to a comprehensive book or article in this field.
Amir
01-01-2014 11:52 AM
Top #4
Chris Heron
01-01-2014 11:52 AM
To my knowledge, the comprehensive books and articles on a subject such as this one do not - actually - exist. The ones who know about things like this work either in the "original equipment manufacture" or "service / repair" sectors of the motor industry. Essentially, the information is an accumulation of man-centuries of "been there, done that, seen similar" discussions between the folks who build or repair these machines for a living.

In terms of "loss of life" calculations as it refers to induction machines losing continuity in the cage winding (i.e. broken bars, cracked end rings, damaged bar/ring joints, high-resistance brazes, etc) ... books on predictive maintenance and reliability theory may be a better fit. These will tend to have MTBF (mean time between fault) values for several different occurrences, which can perhaps aid in determining the likelihood - if not the severity - of the condition.

As an aside - the connection for the rotor winding is necessary to deliver sufficient torque for managing an application's load. Some applications - and specific instances in those applications - are more likely to be considered "catastrophic" failures when the circuit loses continuity than other instances. For example: starting a very high inertia load such as an Induced Draft Fan (where the rotor configuration is essentially oversized because of the starting duty) will show an almost immediate "loss of life" with only a few broken bars, where a more moderate application may run for years (albeit not optimally!) with up to a third of the bars broken or cracked.
01-01-2014 02:34 PM
Top #5
Amir Masoud Takbash
01-01-2014 02:34 PM
Dear Chris
thank you for your good comment. I want to know is there any industrial report in this field? I found some report by google, but those are not very good and scientific. they are almost descriptive. I did some analytic and experimental work on induction motor losses in fault condition, specialy in rotor broken bars fault, and know I want to work on fault effects on life. I need some comperhensive and analytic works in this field.
Amir
Reply to Thread