AC Drive China Forum
Forum » Inverters » Frequency converter to control fan speed
Topics: Frequency converter to control fan speed on Inverters
Start by
Kenis
06-11-2012 10:57 AM

Frequency converter to control fan speed

Hello

My name is Kenis, I am electronic engineer, and I am working on developing of different projects for my clients.
One of my clients looks for system to control ventilation speed in buildings. I have found you work on frequency converter / frequency inverters (I really don't know proper English name of unit I need). So maybe let me describe what I need. Client need to control speed of fan motor to change ventilation in buildings. The motor's power will be 1.5kW up to 15 kW, 3 phase, polish voltage (230V / 380V; 50Hz). Whole installation it will be CAN 2.0b controlled.
So for now I am looking for frequency converter capable to control fan speed.
I am not familiar with motor speed control methods, but client said that for such application models with advanced parameters such as acceleration, soft starts and etc. it will be not necessary, and it will only increase final price. So I am looking for quite cheap, simple frequency converter I could use in application, and another question is if there is CAN control interface available for unit, and what is the difference with price between with or without CAN interface version (depends on the price, adding CAN interface it will be my work)
06-11-2012 12:28 PM
Top #2
Converter
06-11-2012 12:28 PM
Hi Kenis

You are right to use the frequency converter to control the fan's speed, (it also called frequency inverter by the manufacturer)
The converter can make the fan's motor in soft start and you can set acceleration/deceleration parameters as you need.
About "CAN interface", do you mean the communication protocol? if yes, we have it with RS485. Also the converter have a keypad for setting all the parameters.
06-18-2012 03:38 AM
Top #3
Kenis
06-18-2012 03:38 AM
The CAN interface it was my dreams. I think it is too early for such interface, but in my opinion it is the future interface. Of course I am able to make RS485 to CAN converter, so it is no problem.

As I could understand whole family of inverters have the same RS485 instruction set, so I could use the same RS485/CAN converter software.
09-02-2012 02:24 AM
Top #4
Eriberto
09-02-2012 02:24 AM
If you're still on the fence: grab your favorite eaephonrs, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you'll know which is right for you.
Reply to Thread