AC Drive China Forum
Forum » PLC - Programmable Logic Controller » Cognex camera - Cognex OPC to Cognex Camera - Siemens S7 300 PLC - OPC server
Topics: Cognex camera - Cognex OPC to Cognex Camera - Siemens S7 300 PLC - OPC server on PLC - Programmable Logic Controller
Start by
Catalin Popa
10-26-2013 03:26 PM

Cognex camera - Cognex OPC to Cognex Camera - Siemens S7 300 PLC - OPC server

Replace data transmission from Cognex camera <--> Cognex OPC to Cognex Camera<-->Siemens S7 300 PLC< --> OPC server. I want to specify the type of communication used is Ethernet and now I have two OPC instaled on the PC, one from Cognex , last version, that ensure communication between Cognex camera and VB HMI and another OPC which ensure communication between PLC S7300 and VB HMI. Does anyone know if replacing the flow and have only one OPC, communication Cognex camera <-> PLC< -> OPC server will be faster than Cognex camera< -> Cognex OPC? Can I save for example 200 or 300 ms? I expect opinions from those who have experience with such configurations. Thank you!
10-26-2013 05:53 PM
Top #2
Peter S Grote
10-26-2013 05:53 PM
Hi Catalin, I am not the expert, but have you tried to look at KEPware KEPServerEX. If you have 1 OPC Server and enable 2 Driver (Protocols) and then use the "Advanced Tags" Plug-in, I think that this can give you the saving you are looking for.
Do not hesitate to reply if you have further question or need more information.
Best Regards,
Peter Groote, Account Manager - Novotek A/S
10-26-2013 08:51 PM
Top #3
Catalin Popa
10-26-2013 08:51 PM
Hello Peter, thank you for the advise. In this case I don't have an Kepware opc server. I have two OPCs, one is from Cognex for the vision camera and one is from Siemens, you know "Station configuration"....and so on.. Both OPC are used in the HMI made in Visual Basic. Sometime I sow that the Cognex OPC is slow, even if the answer of the Cognex camera is fast. So my question is if I use specific function in the PLC to comunicate with the Cognex camera and I take the answer from the Cognex camera in the HMI through the Siemens OPC will be faster?
I already made ​​an upgrade to the Cognex OPC , I put the latest version and we can see the difference in the cycle time of the machine, but I think can be better then now.
If I can reach 200 or 300 ms / part will be helpfull. Is important regarding the cycle time of the machine. Thank you again.
Reply to Thread