AC Drive China Forum
Forum » PLC - Programmable Logic Controller » Can someone tell me the benefit of event recording?
Topics: Can someone tell me the benefit of event recording? on PLC - Programmable Logic Controller
Start by
Brian Jones
10-26-2013 12:54 PM

Can someone tell me the benefit of event recording?

Im a grasshopper to programming. Can someone tell me the benefit of event recording?? In what circumstances would you use it. Im double clicking project file, then double clicking processor status and going to data file N7 ??
10-26-2013 03:33 PM
Top #2
Anirudha Deval
10-26-2013 03:33 PM
In processor status tab, u got all information about processor like mode of processor, its faults, date-time status, its memory size, math overflows, pending edits, its catlog no., etc. Event recording is used for getting reports & detail information about ur process, system, data collection. Please Tell us more what else u want to know..???
10-26-2013 05:56 PM
Top #3
Ken Natton
10-26-2013 05:56 PM
In my experience, events lists are used for problem diagnosis, and properly used, they can be a very powerful tool for that end. In the early days of computer automation, it was not that rare to have a dot matrix printer dedicated to the purpose. Every time a limit switch was made, or a button was pressed, you'd hear the printer making a time stamped record of the event. Page after page of these printouts went direct to the waste without ever being read. But if a problem occurred, and nobody was terribly sure what had happened, a careful peruse of the events list often yielded very detailed answers as to exactly what happened. In these days of vast memory storage capacity and broader knowledge and understanding of SQL databasing - not to mention consciousness of the irresponsible nature of excess paper wastage - the tendency is to virtualise these events lists where they are used. Perhaps part of the reason they are less common these days is because of other improved diagnostic and preventative maintenance techniques. But sometimes, they are still a very valuable tool.
10-26-2013 08:46 PM
Top #4
Toader Gabriel
10-26-2013 08:46 PM
I used: date and time, free running clock(example: pulse for stack), scan times, math status(overflow trap, zero bit, sign bit....), first pass, battery low.....
Is something useful for debugging and visualization(in panel for example).
it is a pity not to use them if you have them.
Reply to Thread