AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Changing conduction angle of half wave rectifier circuit based on SCR
Topics: Changing conduction angle of half wave rectifier circuit based on SCR on General Discussion
Start by
Ruhi Kale
09-13-2013 04:09 AM

Changing conduction angle of half wave rectifier circuit based on SCR

I am performing a simulation of a simple half wave rectifier using thyristor. I have applied the gate voltage with the help of resistor divider network .Can any one help me understand the method by which I can change the conduction angle without using any logic circuit or controller??
09-13-2013 06:11 AM
Top #2
Amrit Patel
09-13-2013 06:11 AM
If you are trying “Phase Control" of SCR, you have to use phase sensing circuit for the control (no way out). Simple resistor divider voltage control does not work. Plus the Gate drive (trigger) must be "hard" enough, otherwise the SCR goes thru "Linear" region for longer time and it can be destructive.
I had used SCR long back (1978, 2000Amp water cooled, Siemens), now I use IGBT & Mosfets. But for certain application SCR is the best choice. The "Phase Control" method in AC line application generates poor Power Factor and higher Harmonics content, which is not welcome by Electricity Company. Nower days everybody wants Unity Power factor.
09-13-2013 09:05 AM
Top #3
Laurent GONTHIER
09-13-2013 09:05 AM
HI Ruhi
To implement a phase-control, you need to have the gate voltage lagging behind the Line voltage. For this you need a low-voltage capacitor to charged by the high-side resistor. This will implement a delay due to the R-C time constant.
For further information, have a look on section 2.6 on AN3168 from ST:
http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/CD00266635.pdf
You usually don't have to care about harmonics if the load is inductive. But half-wave circuits are limited to low power (refer to EN55014 standard, I think the limit is 70 W). But it's enough for low-power tools or blenders which still use this kind of circuit today.
09-13-2013 11:41 AM
Top #4
Ruhi Kale
09-13-2013 11:41 AM
Mr. Amrit and Laurent thanks for your comments!! I was able to change the conduction angle with the help of resistor network. By changing the value of lower resistor,SCR is triggered at different voltages that means by changing the gate current we can control the conduction.Though this is not the best method but still it is simple to understand for starters.The problem with the circuit was that AC signal applied to the gate was not synchronized to the AC signal applied between anode and cathode , Hence kept a common AC signal for both gate and anode-cathode then proper results were achieved.
09-13-2013 02:36 PM
Top #5
Ruhi Kale
09-13-2013 02:36 PM
Mr.Laurent, thanks for sharing the document i will go through it and let you know if i have any further questions.
09-13-2013 04:56 PM
Top #6
Ruhi Kale
09-13-2013 04:56 PM
I can share the results if your interested!!
Reply to Thread