AC Drive China Forum
Forum » General Discussion » Casting a brushless stator and bell?
Topics: Casting a brushless stator and bell? on General Discussion
Start by
James Nordstrom
09-22-2013 02:34 PM

Casting a brushless stator and bell?

I am designing a motor in numerous sizes and would like, if possible to cast the stator. The ideal solution would be an iron power filled resin that could be poured into a silicon mold, use RIM or compression molding. Compressing iron power directly may be another option since the stator is not a structural component. Basically I am looking to improve the manufacturing process from using a punch to cut thin silicon steel components. Thoughts?

The motor design is available for review:

http://humanoidplatform.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/motor-gearing-and-controller-designs/
09-22-2013 05:21 PM
Top #2
Townes Lee
09-22-2013 05:21 PM
You can use compressed iron powder to make the stator. There are many companies making PM motor stators with this in large volume production. www.hoeganaes.com is the company that supply the material. The material is very cheap - when I bought it in China. There are quite a few power metal processing companies that can compress those power into the stator for you. I used to do a lot of PM motor that way. Usually you can compress it into the final stator shape without machining. The power iron after compression is almost like feel like cast iron and can be machined. The permeability of the powder metal is quite a bit lower than silicon steel, so you need account for that in you magnetic design.
09-22-2013 08:14 PM
Top #3
James Nordstrom
09-22-2013 08:14 PM
Does this require a post mold sintering process? Also how many tons are required for compression?
09-22-2013 11:01 PM
Top #4
Townes Lee
09-22-2013 11:01 PM
The Hoeganaes web site provide you the detail of the process. The cores I used were all sintered after the compacting. This is quite standard for most metal power forming process. I did a 6 inch diameter stator before and the power metal shop uses a 2000 ton press. That is proportional to the cross section area of your stator. I have all the graph of the process downloaded from Hoeganes, you can get it from them. They sometimes also supply you with samples so that you can machine out the parts and test it first.
Reply to Thread